THANK YOU to Guest Artist Paul Edmund-Davies for a very special event at BFA! He performed a gorgeous FLUTE RECITAL and taught an enlightening MASTERCLASS on Tuesday, March 19th, 2013, at BFA’s home in Brookline, MA. Mr. Edmund-Davies was Principal Flute in the London Symphony Orchestra for 20 years. Click here for more details. Powell Flutes Exhibit at 6:00pm. PRE-CONCERT RECEPTION at 6:40pm. RECITAL 7:00pm. MASTERCLASS 8:00pm. Prize Drawing 9:00pm. Open to the public. Packed house! Very fun for everyone.
Concerto by O. Gordeli – Amy Lipman, 10th grade
Syrinx by C. Debussy – Alexandra Conza, 11th grade
Sicilienne et Burlesque by A. Casella – Elizabeth Sperry, 11th grade
Sonata No. 14 in F, Sonata No. 13 in D minor, and Sonata No. 16 in Bb by G. Rabboni *
Fujiko by A. Scott *
Fantaisie for Flute and Piano by G. Hüe *
* Paul Edmund-Davies, Guest Artist and Deborah DeWolf Emery, piano
Sonata, Mvt I. Allegretto malincolio by F. Poulenc – Amy Lipman
Acht Stücke für flöte allein, Mvts I, II, III by P. Hindemith – Austin Hopkins, 12th grade
Fantaisie Pastorale Hongroise, Mvt. I Molto Andante by F. Doppler – Ina Suresh, 8th grade
Sonata, Mvt IV. Allegro con moto by R. Muczynski – Elizabeth Sperry, 11th grade
Concerto in G, Mvt III. Allegro by G.P. Telemann – BFA Flute Ensemble (David Houston, Conductor)
The Boston Flute Academy (BFA) has kicked off its spring term in modern style. The first guest artist of the term was acclaimed interpreter of contemporary flute repertoire and Professor of Flute at West Virginia University, Nina Assimakopoulos.
Assimakopoulos’ residence at BFA included a recital and masterclass on Saturday, February 2nd, 2013. Her recital of music for flute alone was masterfully performed and educational. The program included popular works from the modern flute repertoire including Syrinx, by Debussy’s and Zoom Tube, by Ian Clarke. Assimakopoulos also performed Reflections by Maggie Payne and a piece written for her, Spirit Man by Margaret Fairlie-Kennedy, which began with a short, yet powerful, reading of the poetry that inspired the composition.
Immediately following Assimakopoulos’ recital, BFA students and ensembles took the stage beginning with members from the Conservatory Ensemble and Young Artist program: Hyo Jin Jamie Park (BFA Conservatory Ensemble) performed Concerto for flute and orchestra, by Ibert; Amy Lipman (BFA Conservatory Ensemble) performed Concerto for flute and orchestra, by Gordeli; Elizabeth Sperry (BFA Young Artist) performed Sicilienne et Burlesque, by Casella. Following the soloists, the Maliotis Chamber Players – the BFA’s newest ensemble of adult performers – gave a beautiful performance of Mayflower Suite, by Catherine McMichael, a composition commissioned expressly by and for BFA. The Advanced Repertory Ensemble concluded the program with Monochrome V, an entrancing and exhilarating piece by Peter Schikele (aka P.D.Q. Bach).
Following the recital, BFA students performed for Assimakopoulos in a masterclass, where she proved to be an adept teacher as she is as a performing artist. The following students performed for Assimakopoulos in Saturday’s masterclass:
- You Hyun Cho (11th grade) – Mozart Concerto in G Major: Mvt. I, Exposition
- Hyo Jin Jamie Park (12th grade) – Ibert Concerto: Mvt. I
- Isaac Alter (college) – J.S. Bach Sonata in e minor: Mvt. III
- Oliver Villanueva (college) – Nielsen Concerto: Mvt. I
- Amy Lipman (10th grade) – Gordeli Concerto
For more information about the Boston Flute Academy, please visit our website at bostonfluteacademy.com.
Written by Christopher A. Petre
THANK YOU to BSO Principal Flute Elizabeth Rowe for a fantastic Master Class at BFA on Saturday, December 8th, 2012. Open to the public. What a great turnout we had for this event!
Student masterclass performers included:
- Alexandra Conza, 11th grade – Excerpts from Dvorak, Symphony No. 8 and J.S. Bach, Aus Liebe from St. Matthew Passion
- Issac Alter, freshman at Harvard University – Excerpt from Ravel, Daphnis et Chloe and Exposition of Mozart’s Concerto in G major, 2nd movement
- Hyo Jin Jamie Park, 12th grade – Ibert Concerto, 1st movement
- Sally You Hyun Cho, 12th grade – Debussy, Syrinx
- Amy Lipman, 10th grade – Excerpts from Stravinsky, Petrouchka and Ravel, Bolero
- Oliver Villanueva, BFA Intensive Immersion Student – Excerpt from Debussy, Prelude to an Afternoon of a Faun
- Elizabeth Sperry, 11th grade – Excerpts from Beethoven, Leonore Overture No. 3 and Gluck, Minuet & Dance of the Blessed Spirits from Orpheus