The Conservatory Program prepares students with the flute performance skills and repertoire needed for college auditions, should they decide to pursue music degrees. The educational opportunities in the Conservatory Program are almost identical to those offered in the Young Artist Program.
Conservatory students are some of the finest high school flute players in Massachusetts and tend to be equally strong in their academic studies. BFA encourages a serious commitment to academic studies. Students who plan to pursue non-musical professions are here simply because they seek well-rounded flute training at the highest level.
Our entering students play at BYSO’s Repertory Orchestra and NEC’s Youth Symphony Orchestra level, with graduating seniors reaching the BYS and YPO level. Membership in these orchestras is meant as a reference tool and in no way indicates an automatic acceptance to the Conservatory Program. Most students are in Grades 10-12. Space is limited.
Click here to read about our current students in the Conservatory Program. Audition requirements are available here for students interested in auditioning for the next school year.
Opportunities for the Conservatory Division:
- Private flute lessons with individualized course of study
- Piccolo lessons with focus on orchestral excerpts
- Practice recitals
- Seminars with guest artists
- Formal recitals
- Professional piano accompanist
- Studio Class
- Mock auditions
- Workshops on flute skills
- Workshops with guest artists from other disciplines
- Masterclasses with Boston area flute teachers
- Masterclasses with leading performers from Boston and around the nation
- Flute ensemble performance opportunities
- Parent conferences regarding student progress, instrument purchases, college auditions
- Featured on the BFA website, with student profiles and photos
- Opportunities for students to write articles for the site
- Convenience of piano rehearsals in the BFA Studio
- Assistance with flute, piccolo, and headjoint shopping
- Guidance with making CD & DVD recordings
- Mentoring Program, as mentors for younger players.
- Community outreach, a rewarding opportunity for personal growth
- Auditions waived for BFA Summer Masterclass Program
- Auditions waived for BFA Teacher Training Program