BFA is proud to present Piccolo Virtuoso Jean-Louis Beaumadier in his Boston Debut Concert on Saturday October 25th @ 4:00pm! FREE. Location is our home at Maliotis Cultural Center, on campus of Hellenic College, 50 Goddard Ave, Brookline, MA. Click here for event page!
The Flying Flutistas presented two BODY MAPPING WORKSHOPS at BFA on Sunday October 19th. First workshop focused on BREATHING, and the second workshop focused on body awareness and “POSTURE THAT EMPOWERS”. We all learned so much! Many thanks to Vanessa Mulvey and Lynne Krayer Luke.
YAMAHA ARTIST Suzanne Teng presented an amazing WORLD FLUTES CLINIC and PERFORMANCE at BFA on Saturday October 18th from 12:30pm-2pm. Just fabulous! Many thanks to Suzanne and to the Yamaha Corporation for their continued support of music education.
BFA kicked off the new season with a SCHOOL-WIDE EVENT on Saturday, September 20th, 2014 — THANK YOU to CAROL WINCENC of the Juilliard faculty for such a marvelous Flute Masterclass at Boston Flute Academy! BFA flute students performed works by Bozza, CPE Bach, Berbiguier, Muczynski, Karg-Elert. Ms. Wincenc also performed a CPE Bach Trio Sonata for 2 flutes & keyboard with BFA Flute Faculty David Houston and pianist Joy Cline Phinney! What an inspiring event from start to finish!
Vancouver based flutist LAURA BARRON visited Boston Flute Academy on April 12th & 13th, 2014 for WHAT MOVES US: A WEEKEND of YOGA for flutists, CAREER DEVELOPMENT, and FLUTE MASTERCLASSES for all ages. We thank BFA Guest Artist Laura Barron for this wonderful experience of learning and inspiration! Click here to read more about it.
- Catherine Ransom Karoly, Associate Principal Flutist with The Los Angeles Philharmonic, performed a breath taking recital and taught an inspiring Masterclass at Boston Flute Academy on Tuesday, March 25th, 2014 from 4:30-7:30pm. Flutists in the audience also enjoyed trying out Burkart flutes and piccolos. This event was free and open to the public. BFA extends special thanks to Burkart Flutes and Piccolos for sponsoring this event and presenting Cathy Ransom Karoly at BFA. For more information, including the detailed schedule & repertoire performed, please click here.
BFA Guest Artist Paul Edmund Davies – former Principal Flutist, London Symphony Orchestra – returned to BFA on Sunday, February 16th, 2014 to present a special event for flute teachers! Mr. Edmund-Davies presented a Flute Forum Workshop where Boston-area flute teachers and advanced students learned from the master teacher and performer. For more information about this special event, click here.
This event filled the hall in which it took place! Flutists representing BFA as well as area flute studios played for Mr. Edmund-Davies. It was enlightening and educational for all.
Michael, 6th grade – By the Brook by Paul Wetzger
- Student of Julianne Johnston
- BFA Repertory Ensemble & Seminar
Natalie Ramesh, 9th grade – Cantabile et Presto by Enesco
- Student of Ann Bobo
- BFA Advanced Repertory Ensemble & Seminar
Jessica Cheng, 12th grade – Fantaisie by Fauré
- Student of David Houston, BFA Faculty
- BFA Repertory Ensemble & Seminar
Issac Alter, Harvard University – Sonata by Taktakshvili
- Student of Judy Grant, BFA Faculty
- Member of 2012-2013 BFA Conservatory Ensemble & Seminar
- BFA College Studies
Ceylon Mitchell, Boston University College of Fine Arts – Orchestral excerpts and Fantaisie Pastorale Hongroise by Doppler
- Student of Linda Toote
- Member of 2011-2013 BFA Teacher Training Program
Kanae Kimura, Boston Conservatory – Chant de Linos by Jolivet
Artist Diploma candidate
Student of Geralyn Coticone, BFA Faculty
Boston Flute Academy presented a Flute Masterclass with acclaimed flutist Jean Ferrandis on Sunday, November 3rd, 2013 from 7:00-9:00pm at the Maliotis Cultural Center in Brookline. FREE. Jean Ferrandis is on the faculty of L’Ecole Normale de Musique de Paris and California State University at Fullerton. Attendance was fantastic. Click here for more information.
Student performances included:
- Elizabeth Sperry, 12th grade – Ballade by Perilhou
- Alexandra Conza, 12th grade – Fantasy No. 10 in f# minor by Telemann
- Amy Lipman, 11th grade – Kokopeli by Hoover
- Katie Scholl, 11th grade – Three Preludes for Unaccompanied Flute by Muczynski
- Bradley Joshowitz, Intensive Immersion student – Concerto by Nielsen
- Sieon Choi, 10th grade – Grand Polonaise in D Major by Boehm