AUDITIONS for BFA Ensembles and Classes — by appointment, space permitting.
BFA offers classes for everyone, from young children to adult hobbyists and professional players. The finest flute teachers and world class guest artists are accessible to all our students. A philosophy of generosity and mutual support is important in all programs at BFA.
Fall Term 2016 began on October 1st. Spring Term 2017 begins Feb 1st. To schedule an audition or consultation with the BFA Director Judy Grant, please contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Auditions and consultations will be held by appointment with the director. You my contact us with any questions at: email@example.com Thank you!
- BFA Accelerated Studies Program: Students in 3rd grade through college progress through the Preparatory, Repertory, Conservatory, and Young Artist Programs. BFA Young Artists are recruited by the world’s finest conservatories, such as Juilliard, Curtis, Eastman, Cleveland Institute of Music, San Francisco Conservatory, Peabody, Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Music in London. Auditions required. Space is limited.
- BFA General Studies Program: Flutists of any age and level are invited to enroll in private lessons and progress at their own pace. Beginners are welcomed and provided with a nurturing environment. No formal audition. Interview and studio placement audition only. Trial lessons available. Lesson locations: Brookline, Jamaica Plain, Chelmsford, Framingham.
- BFA Ensemble and Seminar Program: Open to all flutists, from elementary school age through adults, regardless of where you study privately. Ensemble experience combined with masterclasses and inspiring workshops on a wide range of topics. Ground breaking initiative designed to supplement the private lesson and build more informed and more complete musicians at every age. Guest artists, practice recitals, and formal performance opportunities included. Fall and Spring terms, with 12 classes per term on weekends in Brookline. Audition and interview for class placement: Preparatory Ensemble & Seminar, Repertory Ensemble & Seminar, Advanced Repertory Ensemble & Seminar, Conservatory Ensemble & Seminar, Adult Ensemble & Seminar. All levels welcomed.
- Maliotis Chamber Players: Performing flute ensembles for adults. Advanced level. Recent college graduates and music major backgrounds welcomed. Includes workshops with BFA Ensemble & Seminar program. By audition only.
- Bernoulli Winds: Performing flute ensemble for adults.
- Comprehensive Course offerings: In addition to traditional flute and piccolo lessons, BFA brings a visionary approach to ensemble training, studio classes, seminars & master classes, music theory, listening classes, orchestral studies, adult continuing studies, and even teacher-training.
- Intensive Immersion Program — full time program, ideal for a “gap year” between HS and college, or undergrad and grad school. Following their study at BFA, Intensive Immersion students have been accepted to colleges such as Oberlin and New England Conservatory.
- Teacher Training Program — certificate program with hands-on experience.
BFA WEEKEND CLASS SCHEDULES – Fall 2016
Most Ensemble & Seminar classes are 2 hours, in order for students to participate in special workshops, practice recitals, and masterclasses.
- Preparatory Ensemble & Seminar, Saturdays 10:30am-Noon (Faculty: Amanda Hughes). Mostly Grades 4-6.
- Repertory Ensemble & Seminar, Saturdays 10am-Noon (Faculty: Judy Grant). Grades 7 – 11.
- Advanced Repertory Ensemble & Seminar, Saturdays Noon-2pm (Faculty: Judy Grant). Grades 9-12.
- Conservatory Ensemble & Seminar, Saturdays Noon-2pm (Faculty: David Houston). Grades 11, 12, college.
- Bernoulli Winds (selection by interview & audition), Saturdays 9am-10:15pm. (Faculty: Amanda Hughes for 8 sessions, and additional BFA Teaching Artists for 4 sessions). Group size: 5 to 6 players. Includes alto & bass.
- Maliotis Chamber Players (advanced adult performing ensemble, by audition), Saturdays 2:15-3:45pm (Faculty: David Houston, BFA Teaching Artists). Group size: 10 to 11 players. Includes alto & bass.
- Young Artist Studio Class, Sundays 10am-Noon – (Faculty: Judy Grant)
- Intensive Immersion Program (full time program, designed for flutists preparing for undergraduate or grad school auditions).
- Teacher Training Program – weekends at the Maliotis Cultural Center in Brookline.
- Private lessons in Boston, Brookline, Chelmsford, Newton, Framingham.
BFA email for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org (You may also fill out our audition signup form here, but we have had some recent technical trouble receiving the form. We hope to resolve this shortly. Thanks!)